Saturday, April 16, 2011

Upgrades and obsessions

We used to have a generic mobile hanging above Finn's changing table.  It consisted of a musical box that rotated four stuffed jungle animals, there was a monkey, a giraffe, a lion and a elephant.  Finn loved watching the animals spin above his head while "Twinkle, twinkle little star" played on a continuous loop.  Eventually his spidy arms grew so long that he was able to grab each little plushy toy and rip them off the rotating arms one by one.  Much to my disappointment we had to come up with a new solution to entertain Finn while we changed his diaper as the poor little mobile just couldn't take the abuse.  So I set to work to create something that would be fun for Finn but still fit into my robot room theme.  This is what I came up with

cascades of twinkling stars that flutter when there is the slightest of breezes

This is Finn's view of the mobile

Finn approves


As for my obsession I have been into "screen printing" onesies lately.  We did a bunch for my friends Kim & Jeff's little baby girl, Makena, during their baby shower and then I made some more for my friend Caroline's work baby shower.  You make them with freezer paper of all things!  You can make any design you want, cut it out of the freezer paper, iron the paper to the onesie and paint on your fabric paint.  Once the paint is dried you peel off the paper and voila, you have a custom designed onesie.  Disclaimer:  I did not come up with this method, I learned how to do this from other blogs.  I also did not make all these onesies, I had the attendees at the baby showers each make one instead of playing the typical shower games.

Putting the finishing touches on a onesie for Makena

These are the completed onesies from Jeff and Kim's Shower

These are the completed onesies from Caroline's shower


There will be many more of these in my future.  I have to take a break and work on something else for awhile but I have so many ideas for Finn swimming around in my head that I am sure I will be coming back to this craft soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment